Adam K. Watts was born in Santa Clara, California and was raised primarily in the heart of "Steinbeck Country" in Salinas, California. He has always been an artist and has made forays into writing, painting, composing, dancing, performing arts, and digital photography. As a child, his mind was caught by the poetry of Robert Frost; the words from "Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening" and "The Road Not Taken" resonated with him. The ideas of looking into the woods with longing to enter and turning away out of duty and responsibility, and the desire to travel a path few have seen, have lent his soul the aspect of the seeker. This aspect has been reflected in many of his works; images that bespeak of places that call, of paths that make you want to walk them, and corners that beg you to come look and see what is just around them, or just the wandering wind asking you to walk with her.
He was also shaped at a young age by Man of La Mancha, a musical play inspired by Cervantes and Don Quixote. Tilting windmills is a metaphor for pushing back against the machinery of civilization advancing at the price of beauty and the human spirit. He believes that advancement can and should be achieved, but the cost should not be valor or honor or justice. An impossible dream? Perhaps.
Exploring the Literary Worlds of Adam K. Watts:
- Mirabella Cervantes: Tales of the Misplaced A splintered portal spell strands a teenage girl in a magical fairy realm where she is befriended by a sprite assassin and almost eaten by goblins. Sixteen year-old Mira must survive a world callously ruled by the Sidhe with revolution of the downtrodden races looming over her head. Eventually, Mira has to decide whether their plight is as important as getting home.
- Book 1: Heir to Magic: The beginning of Mira's story. Mira finds herself in a different world and has to quickly learn and adapt to her new situation. In the process, she discovers that many of the problems of her old world are in her new world as well. Maybe here, she can do something about it!
Available now on Amazon! Click the image below.
- Book 2: The Merchant Prince: Mira's story continues as she works against the slavers of Pokorah-Vo; a task she must turn over to Rispan so she can travel north to Shifara and present her case to the Rider Council. The problem is, her case will likely br challenged and she will have to defend it in trial by combat, and that will include magic!
- Book 3: The Maelstrom's Heart: Mira has been through so much, but her struggle is not yet over. Rispan has to deal with riots breaking out in Pokorah-Vo, and the fate of the world rests on what Mira will do next.
- Leanora Leland: An Urban Fantasy Follow Nora in this Urban Fantasy as she tries to come to grips with her newfound magical abilities as she struggles to find out what has happened to her missing foster-sister, Mirabella.
- Valikari: Explore and use the fantasy language of Valikari. It is available for open source use under specified (and quite reasonable) limitations.
Note: Valikari is the language from the land of Valikara, home to an early novel (The Flames of the Phoenix) that involved rich world-building. One day I will return to this story and put it into a more publishable form. Meanwhile, we can utilize the language created for it.
- Max Carbian Mysteries:
- Blood on the Dragon: Max Carbian is an out of work writer turned security guard turned private detective in Northern California in the 2130s. The entire San Francisco Bay Area has become one sprawling metroplex. Max was just being a Good Samaritan and found himself in the middle of a murder investigation. The prime suspect? According to the BAPD, that would be Max Carbian!
- Chains of the Dragon: A local restaurant owner goes missing and Max Carbian is on the case. Max survives being drugged and beaten and goes down the rabbit hole of Chinese organized crime and international human trafficking. When one of the local cops investigating the case also turns up missing, Max is under the gun to come up with answers. The problem is, he can't even remember his own name.
- Off Duty: Detective Emily Yee of the BAPD has to take some time off when a family member in Shanghai gets tangled up with the wrong people. When things start to get difficult, she calls Max in as back-up. But will this be a rescue mission, or revenge?
- Dancing: Instruction, Coaching and Choreography in American Smooth and Rythm dances.
Note: This site is undergoing a transformation to a new vision, which is still a bit nebulous. If it looks unfinished, consider it a metaphor for life.